Columbia ASDA Constitution
Letter from the President
Welcome to the Columbia University College of Dental Medicine ASDA website! ASDA or the American Student Dental Association is a national student-run organization that protects and advances the rights, interests and welfare of dental students. It introduces students to lifelong involvement in organized dentistry and provides services, information, education, representation and advocacy.
ASDA is currently broken up into 11 Districts with Columbia in District 2, along with SUNY-Buffalo, NYU, Rutgers, SUNY-Stony Brook, and as of this Fall, Touro!
As an auto-enroll school, all of our current students are members of ASDA. That is only half the battle and it’s our job to make sure that students are properly educated on just what ASDA has to offer to increase active participation among our students.
It is a new year for us with a new executive board energized with ASDA fever to improve our chapter. One of the ways we have already begun to improve our chapter has been to increase involvement among students earlier on in their dental education. In the past, to be a member of a committee, a student would have to apply at the end of their first year. This coming year, we have changed our policy to include first year representatives for each of our ten committees.
Additionally, we have updated our committee structure and added an additional two committees to help increase participation at our chapter. We are very excited to begin planning events for the upcoming year including the continuation of our many successful events like our ADPAC Drive, “Being a Dental Student for a Day” and “Getting Into Dental School 101” events.
Please check our site for our most updated information!
All the best,
Columbia ASDA President
ASDA District 2 Pre-Dental Chair
Our community service events are aimed at teaching the community more about maintaining their oral health and making dental care more relevant and accessible for the community.
- Crest Health Smiles events are our primary outreach for children. At these events, we teach children about healthy teeth, nutrition, & the fun & importance of going to the dentist.
- Give Kids a Smile is a yearly event sponsored by the American Dental Association. A large amount of the student body attends local schools that are underserved & have limited access to care.
- ElderSmile We attend local Nursing Homes to deliver oral health information.
- The Student Run Free Clinic is project organized & operated by student volunteers. Our mission is to bring completely free dental care to the homeless population of Harlem through St. Mary’s Church on 126th Street. We reach out every other Tuesday with the help of volunteer faculty members. In order to promote awareness, students also volunteer at St. Mary’s Soup Kitchen & delivering food & oral health packets to the homeless.
ADPAC is the American Dental Political Action Committee, which supports legislators that demonstarte a firm commitment to oral health issues and the protection of dentistry as a profession. ADPAC Student Memberships are the best way to ensure that your voice is heard on Capitol Hill and are only $5 annually. National Dental Student Lobby Day is an event held annually as a joint venture between ASDA & the ADA. Dental students come together with a unified voice to lobby congress members on behalf of dental students. This two day conference consists of a day of learning about the issues & how to speak to congress members followed by a day of meeting with congress members to discuss these issues. Two or three pieces of legislation are selected each year.
ASDA National organizes all of the districts & chapters for all of the dental schools in America. Columbia is part of District 2, which includes NYU, Stony Brook, Rutgers, & Buffalo, and is part of the Eastern Region. Each year, various meetings are held to promote inter-school relations so that chapters can help each other reach their fullest potential. Annual Session is the largest event of the year, where dental students from across the nation come together to elect District Trustees (1 per district), the Speaker of the House of Delegates, & the Executive Committee (1 president & 2 vice presidents).
Getting involved on the national level of ASDA is a great way to build your leadership skills & get to know a diverse group of students from all over the nation!
Mentorship & Education functions to help Columbia dental students in both their didactic medical and preclinical dental experiences. To this end, our renowned Mentorship Committee organizes teaching sessions, reviews, mock exams & practicals primarily for the 1st & 2nd year students.
Pre-dental Outreach at Columbia University aims to connect pre-dental students with dental students at Columbia to shed more light on the profession and the application process. The committee encourages undergraduate students who have an interest in dentistry to familiarize themselves with the field. Undergraduate students are encouraged to sign up for a dental student mentor, who can guide them through the application process, answer questions, and invite them to classes & the clinic.
Please visit our committee pages for more information about ways to get involved as well as for information about upcoming events
Every dental student at Columbia College of Dental Medicine is a national ASDA member. The benefits of this membership are listed here.
- GL Advisor – student loan & debt management services
- Bank of America – credit card plans for students
- Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions – student discount on test prep services
- T-Mobile – student discount on wireless services
- Insurance – United Healthcare, ADA Life & Disability Insurance Plans (FREE!), Geico Auto, Renter’s, & Homeowner’s Insurance
- Publications – FREE subscription to ADA & ASDA national publications & Discounts for NBDE prep materials & ASDA Guide to Post-Doc Programs
Visit the benefits page to learn more details about the benefits of being in ASDA. Take full benefit of your ASDA membership during your time at Columbia – stay involved & up to date on the latest information affecting dentistry & dental students!